Friday, March 11, 2016

My Ames High Brothers Were There--by Bryce Freeman

AHS brothers-

I told both of my children yesterday that I wished for them the amazing experience I enjoyed with all of you in Colorado. It was incredible to get back together with childhood friends for whom I have so much respect. I feel so privileged to have grown up in Ames with you and to have involved, supportive parents who cheered me on in WAY too many games playing by your side or running on your team.

There is something truly special about youth sports. To strap on the pads, put on the ball cap, lace up the shoes and give your absolute best is a great experience in itself. But I'm increasingly struck by what personally drove me in high school sports, and that was to give my best so that I never let my teammates down.  I never wanted to walk back to the huddle having dropped Seth's pass. I never wanted to face Belzer on the sideline if I missed a block on a D back. I never wanted to face Villwock after walking a batter in a clutch situation. I never wanted to go to the bench and explain to Pollman, Dale, Whiteford, or Warme why I turned the ball over or didn't run my hardest. All of you pushed me to run faster, hit harder, focus more clearly, and do my job better. I've carried this experience and push for excellence into every job I've ever had. Good isn't good enough, we have to strive for excellence, and all of you nourished this belief in me.

And Ames High gave me that same experience in the classroom. I gave my best because people like Kwan Wu, Sarah Coats, Eric Warme, Andy Glatz, and Ryan Carver pushed my limits. Even in the band, I tried my absolute best because my fellow low brass players expected the best from me. Ames High is an amazing opportunity to be around the best, push yourself and achieve.

But what meant the most to me this past weekend was that on the verge of my greatest failure in life, the end of my 19 year marriage, my Ames High brothers were there for me. Your sincere support, selfless love, and genuine concern for me provided me the encouragement and boost I'll need to be a great dad on my own and to move forward in my life. In a time when I've felt so alone, I learned that I'm not alone. Whiteford, I can't tell you how much your candid sharing about your first marriage meant to me. Belzer and Spenser, I can't tell you how much your messages and phone calls meant to me when Laura and I decided to split. Warme, you're not alone in this either. We're in it together, starting over and moving forward.


This past weekend, I laughed harder than I can ever remember.  It was so terrific to remember our childhood in the context of the men we've become.  We bring out the best in each other, and that's a wonderful thing.

I love each of you. Our shared experiences are truly special, whether sweating it out in August two-a-days, running my curveball in on another leftie with Spenser behind the plate, running till I puked for Coach Sletten, or gutting out that last separator in the gym.  Those shared experiences formed a foundation of trust, friendship, and mutual support that can't be taken away. And this past amazing weekend is one more shared experience that we'll build on in our years ahead.

I feel so lucky to be your friend. Anything any of you need, anytime, I'll be there. We're never alone, as our friends are there to celebrate our victories and pick us up and dust us off when we lose. Thanks so much for being there for me. 

1 comment:

  1. What a touching post; our AHS class just celebrated our 50th anniversary. The foundation of trust, friendship and mutual support is still there, and more important in our lives than ever. Yes, we are all lucky.

    ReplyDelete